Friday, December 19, 2008

Sweet Italian sausage skillet supper


This is sweet Italian sausage with mushrooms, shallots, baby spinach, baby arugula, grape tomatoes and clementine, with cous-cous. It takes half an hour or less. I do wish the photo were better, and I will work on that.

You could use any pasta, or you could use rice. I used cous-cous because I like it, I always have it on hand, and it is practically an instant food. And whole-grain cous-cous tastes better, in my opinion, than most of the whole-grain pastas I have tried.

And if that weren't enough, I made this with cous-cous that was left over from the day before! Because, trust me, one cup of cous-cous goes a long way. That's fine, because it is so versatile.
If you haven't tried cous-cous, give yourself a treat. It has a mild, kind of nutty flavor, and you can add ANYTHING you like to it.

Here's how to make it:

Cous-cous
One cup of liquid: I generally use either water or chicken stock, but you could use vegetable stock or even fruit juice if you wanted. Hmm, I think I will try making it with orange juice some time!

--2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil or any oil or you can skip this

--1/2 teaspoon of salt (omit if you are cutting back on salt or if you are using a salted broth)

Bring this to a good, rolling boil in a medium size saucepan. Don't use too small a pan; you will regret it. Measure out a cup of cous-cous. Turn heat off once the liquid boils, then pour in the cous-cous and give it a good stir and smack a lid on it. (If you don't have a lid for your pan, aluminum foil or even a plate will do.) Wait 5 minutes, open it up and fluff the cous-cous with a fork.

That's the basic recipe. You can add all kinds of things, including dried fruits or an array of seasonings, but since this is going to be served as part of the sausage supper, I won't go into that here.

Obviously, since I did it, you can refrigerate any leftovers, and reheat either in the microwave (add a little liquid) or by tossing right into the pan with your other ingredients. Speaking of which:

Quick and easy Sweet Italian Sausage skillet supper:
This is for 1-2 servings

Get out your large skillet (I use my cast-iron chicken fryer, because it is nice and deep, so I don't spill things when I am stirring later on; any large skillet will do, I guess). Over medium heat:

Put in about

--2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter or whatever, enough to generously coat the botoom, and add

--2 shallots, diced -- or you could use about half of a small onion. I like shallots when cooking a small quantity of food, because I like the flavor and they're the right size for one or two portions. If I chopped an onion, I'd go ahead and dice it all and put it in the fridge (well-sealed in plastic and/or glass) for another meal.

--3 Cremini mushrooms, sliced -- well, of course, whatever mushrooms you have or like. Creminis are the small version of Portobellos, by the way; or, rather, Portobellos are the giant version of creminis. Whatever.

Season those with a little salt and pepper, but keep in mind that the next thing going in is the sausage, which has lots of flavor, so don't over-season at this point.


--2-3 links of sweet Italian sausage. I used 3 because I wasn't having a "starter" course or dessert. I like mild, but if you like hot, go for it. I also like to squeeze the sausage out of the "links" into little meatballs about the size of radishes, partly because I don't like the casings and partly because the more surface area, the more yummy brown carmelized crust. Drop those into the pan. Saute over medium high heat, stirring only occasionally, until they are yummy and brown on all sides. I use a sturdy metal "turner" to scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure the shallots and mushrooms aren't burning and to make sure the sausage is getting evenly browned.

While that's going on, wash and pat dry

--a handful of baby spinach leaves. 12-20 leaves is my guess, but if I catch you standing there counting, I will suggest you get help.

--a handful of baby arugula, which is optional but nice, and it's my nephew Mike's favorite thing. Put this decoratively on a plate. You can sprinkle with a little olive oil, if you'd like. I did.

Wash and slice in half
-- a handful of grape tomatoes. What did I tell you about counting? OK, six or so.
-- zest (grate the colorful part of the peel), peel and dismember one clementine. You could use about half an orange. I would cut the sections in half and make sure there aren't any annoying pits.

--Get ready with about 1/2 cup of liquid: Open a bottle of white wine if you haven't already. If you don't have or don't use wine, get out some chicken broth. If you have homemade, good for you. The rest of us use the kind that comes in a box. I like low or no-salt varieties made from free-range chickens. I would NOT use chicken bouillion for this, as it is very salty. It would be better to use water.

--Grate a couple of teaspoons or tablespoons of Parmesan. Your call.

Is the sausage brown yet? Then

add the spinach, clementine sections, zest, tomatoes and about 1/2 cup of wine or other liquid. Hear the sizzle. Use that turner again to scrape up all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for about two more minutes until the tomatoes pucker a little, the spinach wilts just a tad, and everything is hot. This is a good time to taste and decide if it needs more seasoning; be sure you get a bit of the sausage in your tasting sample before you make that decision. I added

-- a dash of an Italian spice blend that is mostly oregano.

If you are using leftover (cold) cous-cous, fluff it again with a fork to make sure it isn't lumpy, then just stir it right into the pan. It may absorb even more liquid than it already has, so stand ready to add a little more liquid, but you don't want it soupy. Give it a minute or two to heat up.

If you are using freshly made cous-cous, put it on the plate on top of the arugula and pour the sausage mixture over.

Add the Parmesan on top.

Pour a glass of wine if you haven't already.

Enjoy.

This turns out to be more than one portion; might feed two, especially with a "starter" course. Definitely enough left over for tomorrow's lunch or a freezer meal.

2 comments:

  1. darn, I just throw away the couscous I made with dried cranberries and pecans, maybe I could have sneaked it into this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jean! Wow, yes, the couscous with cranberries and pecans -- which by the way sounds delicious -- would have definitely worked! I would probably leave out the tomatoes, and let the cranberries play the role of "Red Food item." In fact, as it is difficult to get really nice tomatoes in winter, I think next time I will use dried cranberries! I've used them in couscous before, just not with the sausage, etc.
    Good to hear from you, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
This is me enjoying a limoncello in Rome on the last night of our trip to Italy. Funny thing is, I don't really like limoncello that much, but thought it would be great in a dessert. And wouldn't you know, The Barefoot Contessa just did a great fruit salad with limoncello. So now I can't. Oh, well.