Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Spinach Salad idea: Pears!

Merry Christmas!
One highlight of the holiday meal served at work today, for those of us who were working on Christmas Day, was a wonderful spinach salad. I've had lots of spinach salads, but this had one big difference: Instead of apples, which are good in such a salad, they used slices of fresh, ripe pears! Other than that it was the usual: baby spinach leaves, red onion (I would have cut these into even finer slivers than they did), plenty of blue cheese, some grated carrot. There was a salad dressing available, looked like a basic vinaigrette with maybe some honey-mustard mixed in, but I didn't use any -- the juicy pears and the blue cheese did the trick. So if you are looking for something light and quick, consider this.

I could make a meal of this by adding some slivers of ham, bacon, prosciutto or smoked salmon, or/and a hard-cooked egg or two. And if you like nuts or sunflower seeds, those would taste great, too.

Ah, pears -- reminded me, too, of that wonderful pear-pecorino ravioli we had in Italy! I'm still planning to try making that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
This is me enjoying a limoncello in Rome on the last night of our trip to Italy. Funny thing is, I don't really like limoncello that much, but thought it would be great in a dessert. And wouldn't you know, The Barefoot Contessa just did a great fruit salad with limoncello. So now I can't. Oh, well.