Saturday, December 20, 2008

Easy P-zy puff pastry appetizers


Why P-zy? Because it's Puff Pastry, Prosciutto, Pecorino cheese, and Please Pass the Prosecco!

It's party time, and everyone needs some quick and easy appetizers.

Puff pastry is one of the things I try to always keep in my freezer. I like the kind from Trader Joe's, partly because the package isn't too big -- two sheets, just enough for a quick batch of goodies. In fact, you can use just one at a time.

In front are the Prosciutto-Pecorino tarts.
Behind on the left, some mini "pockets" filled with, of all things, leftover skillet salad. In fact, that's what I started with.

If you didn't have leftover skillet salad (see below), you could make about the same filling just by sauteeing up some onions, mushrooms and spinach in olive oil and adding a dash of balsamic vinegar. You could also break some sausage out of the casings, but it wouldn't be essential. And I'll bet you could use any number of other leftovers.

Follow the directions on the frozen puff pastry. Mine needed to thaw on the counter for 10 minutes -- no more, you want it to be really cold still, just not frozen. This is a good time to preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Peel off one sheet of puff pastry; you can refreeze the rest or make more stuff! I rolled it out just a little, gently, on a lightly floured board with a lightly floured rolling pin. Then I cut it into squares about 3-4 inches square and put a spoonful of my now-chilled spinach mixture in the middle, making sure not to get any extra liquid; enough will cling to the salad to give it the flavor. (Also, there were a few pieces of sausage and asparagus that needed to be cut smaller so they'd fit.) Then I just rolled up each square and pinched the ends to seal, put them on a baking pan, then pricked each one on top with a fork. Into the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Let cool and "set" at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. No dipping sauce needed, which is good for parties -- the vinaigrette that's "built in" provides enough flavor and moisture.

Then I slapped myself on the head and asked, "Why didn't I add some cheese?" That got me thinking. You could easily sneak a sliver of parmesan or pecorino (or any other cheese) in before rolling up the mini-pockets. Or you could do something completely different with Sheet No. 2. Which I did.

I rolled out the second sheet and using a wine glass, cut out circles. I probably have a round biscuit/cookie cutter somewhere but didn't feel like hunting for it. I tore three thin slices of proscuitto into smaller pieces and put a curl of it on each circle, then a "shaving" of pecorino on top. (Oxo vegetable parer still the best tool for shaving firm cheese!) I put these on a second baking sheet. When my other batch was done, I popped these into the oven, again for 10-15 minutes.

Note: Do NOT think you can take one batch out of the oven and put a new batch on the same pan before it has cooled off. The heat of the pan will melt the butter that's inside the puff pastry before it has a chance to "puff." Or so I'm told.

I did not poke holes in the center of the dough circles because I was just using a little topping, but if you were trying to make tarts with more filling, you have to poke holes or the center will puff up too much and literally eject the topping/filling.

The scraps left over from cutting circles? Cook's treat: push them together and make another tart or pocket or two. Won't be as pretty because it won't puff as well as the original dough, but still tasty. Or you could sprinkle with grated Parmesan, roll a "snake," using your Play-Doh skills, and make cheese sticks. Since I didn't do that, I don't know how long to bake them, but I would start at 10 minutes and watch 'em.

Yes, these are a little rich. But from the minute the dough comes out of the freezer, they take less than half an hour. And, hey, the mini-pockets are full of veggies! You can fill the rest of the table with lighter fare, vegetable sticks and fruit and all that.

Warning: Prosciutto and pecorino are both pretty salty, but you knew that. If you need to cut down on salt, well, this is not a good idea for you. Stick with the spinach ones.

If you were assembling these ahead to bake at the last minute, you'd have to put them back in at least the refrigerator. It's that butter-melting thing.

Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
This is me enjoying a limoncello in Rome on the last night of our trip to Italy. Funny thing is, I don't really like limoncello that much, but thought it would be great in a dessert. And wouldn't you know, The Barefoot Contessa just did a great fruit salad with limoncello. So now I can't. Oh, well.