Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lobster tails with pasta and leeks


Lobster tails on sale at my store!
Organizing the pantry, discovered I still had some dried tri-colored pasta. Baby leeks and arugula in the crisper. Red grapes in a bowl on the counter; they're a little tart/acidic. White wine in the fridge. I figured it should work. It did.

So, for two tails, which I consider one serving (!):
Boil a big pan of salted water and add the pasta. (Obviously, you could boil the lobster tails, too. I like to broil mine. Although boiling the lobster would let you use the stock to cook the pasta, which would be good, too.)
Melt 3T butter in a smallish saute or saucepan. Add the clean and chopped baby leeks -- I used the "fat" part from two small ones -- and sweat them. Which means don't brown them, just get them a little soft. Add a little white wine and let simmer on low.
Broil the lobster. Depending on size, probably 4 minutes per side. Let it cool enough to handle, then pop it out of the shells. I find snipping down the middle with a kitchen shears is the way to go.
Clean and dry the arugula and arrange on a plate.
When the pasta is done, which you tell by fishing one out, cooling it off and eating it (!), drain it. Put it on top of the arugula, and put the lobster on top of it. Spoon on the sauce, and garnish with some grapes.

If you don't have grapes, or yours are really sweet, something else acidic or tart would work, lemon or lime being the traditional ones. I like that the grapes mirror both the slight sweetness of seafood and of course the wine in the sauce, but still help cut the richness of the butter. The leeks are mild enough to not overpower the lobster but still add lots of flavor. Same with the arugula; it's a little peppery without being a distraction from the star of the meal.

If you don't want to use butter, I suppose you could use olive oil or something, but to me, lobster and leeks both want to be eaten with butter. And pasta with butter is pretty darned good, too.

If your store doesn't have lobster tails on sale, I'm confident this would work with shrimp or scallops, and probably with many kinds of fish (especially if the description of the fish is, "it kind of tastes like lobster"). Rockfish, for example.

The only "bad" thing about this recipe is that it uses three pans, counting the broiler pan. I usually manage with one or two, which is another reason to try it with the boiled lobster alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
This is me enjoying a limoncello in Rome on the last night of our trip to Italy. Funny thing is, I don't really like limoncello that much, but thought it would be great in a dessert. And wouldn't you know, The Barefoot Contessa just did a great fruit salad with limoncello. So now I can't. Oh, well.