Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bay scallops


So one of the things I love about living on the East Coast is the seafood. Especially when I get to shop during the day on Fridays. Today, I had many choices. I love sea scallops, although they were $12.99 a pound. I usually buy them for less. Bay scallops, the little 'uns, were $5.99 a pound, but still wild-caught, so I decided to go for them.

This is not the "new frugality." This is the old frugality.

Even $5.99 a pound sounds like a lot, until you remember that there is no fat, no skin and no bone. Purest protein. A quarter of a pound of bay scallops really is enough for one serving, especially if you make it with:

--A sliced beet or two (from before, remember?)
--spinach, preferably tender baby leaves
--pasta
--a shallot (or half of a big one, which is what I used)

While you are getting the water boiling for the pasta, (salt the water) chop the shallot. Also wash the spinach. Mine came in a bag that said "triple washed." I washed it anyway -- it's only as good as the last person who washed it.

Slice the beet and put it on a plate. Add the spinach. Douse them with vinegar (I used balsamic, but anything would really do) and sprinkle a leetle bit of sugar and salt on 'em. They will marinate while other things cook, and that's a good thing.

Much as I love my cast-iron skillet, I hauled out my stainless steel skillet for this, although, truthfully, the cast-iron one has enough age on it (seasoning) to handle this. But they say use non-reactive, so I did.

When the water is boiling, put in the pasta. I'm assuming you are working with dried pasta, which takes a while. If you have made fresh pasta, wait a while because fresh pasta cooks in a couple of minutes. I would wait until the pasta is almost done before cooking the scallops, so they don't overcook.

Heat the skillet on medium with about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chopped shallot.

When the shallot is translucent and maybe even starting to brown a little, add the bay scallops. Salt and pepper, paprika. Stir. Oh, I added a sliced golden beet, which turned kind of bright reddish orange, on one side of the skillet. Didn't want to falsely colorize the scallops. Add maybe a splash of white wine. They will cook in literally two minutes. (Sea scallops would take four or so.) Turn the heat off.

When the pasta is done, drain and put the pasta on top of the spinach. Then put the scallops/shallots on top of that.

Eat. I ate all the scallops and most of the beet and some of the spinach and pasta, and I have leftovers to start with tomorrow.

I had actually grated some parmesan and decided I didn't want it. What is happening to me? Choosing not to add cheese? This was really good without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
This is me enjoying a limoncello in Rome on the last night of our trip to Italy. Funny thing is, I don't really like limoncello that much, but thought it would be great in a dessert. And wouldn't you know, The Barefoot Contessa just did a great fruit salad with limoncello. So now I can't. Oh, well.